I've never had new bedroom furniture in my life. I don't know how many people have or haven't, I just know I fall into the "haven't" category. I'm not boo-hooing, I'm simply stating a fact.
I've actually saved up money and have even picked out my fabulous, new bedroom furniture.
And I would name it George. And I would hug it and pet it and squeeze it.
I've also picked out the dumpster I'd like to throw my current furniture in. Until...
Let me backtrack by saying that I've been living with circa 1983 bedroom furniture since [Prince's] 1999. My husband purchased this furniture brand new when I was 13 years old. No, he was not my husband at the time.
Because that would just be creepy.
So, here you have it...the ugly 80s bedroom furniture:
Admittedly, these are horrible pictures. But then again, it's horrible furniture.
I wanted a cheap but effective furniture re-do, so we bought poplar planks, and with the help of "Grampa" Asher (I LOVE MY DAD), we got the boards cut down to size, and put a simple little bevel around all the corners using his radial arm saw.
Then we sanded--a LOT--and I stained with a really cool gel stain by General Finishes called "CANDLELITE." Made in the good ole U.S.A. God Bless. I put on a nice satin clear-coat, a little more sanding, a little more clear-coat...
I picked up a project pack of oil-rubbed bronze knobs and pulls at Menards to make my drawers pretty.
After removing all the old hardware, Philly removed the old drawer fronts and got ready to put the new ones on.
But, what to do with the
Yes, my cracks were "Philled." Phil McCrackin. Everyone's a comedian.
I'm really liking how chalk paint looks and works, but the price freaks me out a little bit. Don't get me wrong...I'm not abstaining from ASCP or anything, but I did wonder if there was another way...
I did some searching and found several recipes for home-made chalk paint. So, here was my experiment:
I took one part Plaster of Paris, mixed it with a couple tablespoons of water until it was smooth, then added 3 parts eggshell black latex paint I already had on hand. (That's an eggshell finish...no actual eggshells were harmed in the making of this paint.)
Since I know this isn't real chalk paint, I did lightly sand the whole piece and gave it a coat of primer.
And the matching mirror (zzzzzz.....).
Then I continued with my witches' brew.
I knew I wanted some kind of design on the top of the dresser, but I wanted it subtle and not to scream, "LOOK AT ME!" I'm also somewhat infatuated with scroll-y type designs. I looked at a bunch online and decided to freehand a design from a couple that I liked. I picked up 2 large poster boards from Dollar General and started drawing. I thought that was bad...but then I got out the scissors. I think it took me an entire episode of House, M.D. before I finished cutting it out.
So, here's the design plopped on top of the painted dresser, and then taped down with skinny painter's tape.
I traced the design with an old white pencil left over from when my kids were little.
I took my witches' brew and diluted it with a smidge of white paint. Again...going for subtle here. I filled in my design...
And then a coat of clear wax. I put the finished drawers back in and breathed a sigh of relief.
Well, sort of. Dresser down, Chest to go.
Home again, home again, jiggety jig.
Before and After:
If you recall, the matching nightstand got a completely different treatment.
And just a side note. I'm SOOO glad I didn't pitch all the old hardware from this furniture! Who knew I would need it to make a snowman face!